Yesterday was the 55+ all candidates meeting at the Meaford and St. Vincent Community Centre. It was fascinating how many sitting members of Council are suddenly concerned about roads and snow removal.
Anyway, I thought I would put up the points from my presentation along with the OPP contract vs. non-contract comparison chart. I believe that we should have a contract and return to having a police services board.
1) Taxes are too high…need to expand our tax base…review our expenses and eliminate
2) Roads, bridges and sidewalks…A Priority!
3) Winter maintenance…clearing snow fully and applying the appropriate substances for safety
4) Garbage tags…eliminated for your first bag. Any additional bags will require tags
5) Library project to be reviewed…estimate of $5.5 million to put it in an old grocery store
6) Community centres and public buildings to become affordable and available
7) Bring back the paper Ballot. We know electronic voting can be hacked.
8) water and sewer rates to be reviewed
9) Recreational agreements Owen Sound and Blue Mountains…make it affordable and accessible
10) Save Grey Gables and create more LTC facilities
11)Appropriate Development…help expand our tax base and increase dollars for community projects
12) Policing…choose contract over non-contract…see Comparison Chart